Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day Three

Today is all nature.

I walked to school, because the snow and cold made me think twice about driving, or riding.  On the way I came across this beautiful section of wind eroded snow.  I love this beauty that comes from the chaotic forces of nature, mess that is never a mess.

During the day I listened to a show on NPR entitled Being.  The show hosted five different theologians, including the Dalai Lama, conversing on the nature of happiness.  If you are interested in listening to the show check it out at: http://www.elabs7.com/ct.html?rtr=on&s=fj6,tymq,dv,m7hd,5r4g,mdex,cd0y
One idea that caught my attention dealt with happiness being found by seeing beauty in nature.  This inner understanding can then be translated to this same beauty and happiness being found in our everyday lives.

With this in mind I am going to fire the forms for today in an atmospheric kiln, most likely salt or soda.  In ceramics there is a long tradition of giving over some of the artistic control to the chance of a kiln, such as wood, salt, or soda.

This same idea is linked to the DADA way of thinking.  In the DADA movement artists were interested in letting the subconscious and imagination have a say in the way that art was created.  I find it interesting that I am trying to do the opposite.  I am trying to take experiences that are ephemeral by nature, capture them, and consciously analyze them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am pretty happy most days, and do not mind too much when I am sad, which makes me happy.

Followers